Saturday, April 2, 2011

Up-cycling Challenge #2

My Up-cycling Challenge #2 was making a neat shoulder bag out of this old wool Jacket (Right in the picture).


I like the masculine look of this herringbone wool. I picked out the red striped ticking for an accent and a lining. This bold combination of the wool and a ticking, somehow brought clean and sophisticated feeling to the bag.


I put the front panels of the jacket to the bag front and utilized pockets in my design. Those pockets are still functioning. Red striped trims and the tuck in center work very well to add an interesting element.


I sewed cotton webbing and wool together to make the shoulder straps. It made the straps durable and also look cool.

There is one pocket inside hanging from the top. On each side of the opening I put a set of magnet snaps to hold the contents safely and adjust the capacity of the bag.


The original label from the lining of the jacket is sewn on the back of the bag. It adds a character to this piece.


This project was a kind of improvisation. I didn't use any patterns. I enjoyed it so much and I really love the result. I would love to have this as my everyday bag. This bag is displayed in the store of Junk Evolution for promotion of the event "Wabi sabi Saturday".

Thank you for reading and hope you all have a beautiful Sunday! Happy Up-cycling! ( Challenge #3 post will be coming soon!)

5 comments:

  1. OMG! I love up-cycling and I think you did a wonderful job again here, Hiromi!! The red stripe ticking, the outside pockets, the magnet snaps on both sides, the original "Harris Tweed" name label, etc. etc... they all add that special touch to the bag. This bag is not only gorgeous and practical, but it's earth-friendly! お見事です、座布団3枚差し上げますーー!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that is incredible!!! Well done. This is a bag I would be thrilled to carry. I love the idea of the magnetic snaps to adjust the shape and capacity. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Krista,
    Thank you! Hey, if you like this bag, that means you guys have great taste! :p I hope many of customers at the event have the same taste as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, this is one of the most amazing and creative bags that I have ever seen! I love the wool combined with the soft pink, it's truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Susan.
    Thank you for your kind comment. Please check my other bags on my Flickr pool and tell me what your think!

    ReplyDelete