Saturday, May 21, 2011

We should do it again!

My second Wabi Sabi Saturday is successfully done! I did a little workshop of how to use Furoshiki (Japanese traditional wrapping cloth) at Junk Evolution in downtown South Bend. Many people came in and are very impressed that how much we can do with a simple sheet of square fabric. I showed how to make pretty purses with no sewing and other wrapping techniques . All the items on the table are made with Furoshiki. Most people couldn't tell it is just a flat square fabric when they sew these first.


I also sold these handmade Furoshiki. I had three different sizes. The large ones were most popular today. I wish I had more of large ones. I will make some more and deliver them in the store next week.

I know, it is hard to believe that this elegant hand bag is made by making only four knots. But it really is. I just added a corsage as a finishing touch.

I used a set of ring handles to make this chic bag. You can find handles like these at craft stores. But actually these handles are handmade by myself. I used plumbing tubes which I got from Home Depot.


You can wrap two wine bottles in one Furoshiki. The material is synthetic chiffon. It is a great gift wrapping and also practical. You can carry two tall bottles in one hand.

This versatile shoulder bag is made by making only three knots. I put a elastic ponytale band with flowers to secure the opening.

I forgot to take a picture of it but I showed a simple technique to wrap and carry a rolled Yoga mat. And it was very popular. I found out there is a big population of people taking Yoga or Pilates classes in the world! I hope I will have a chance to show you how to wrap a Yoga mat sometime.

And here is a picture of a little corner of my favorite store Junk Evolution. They are great decorators, "re-makers" and artists. They change the store themes every month and always have something new. I love their taste and it is always fun to hang around with them. I am so glad to have a chance to involve in some fun events with them.

We had a very good feeling about this Furoshiki event. We talked about having another one maybe in fall or before Christmas. I think it will be great if we can combine gift shopping and gift wrapping with Furoshiki for Holidays. It is so exciting.

You still can get Furoshiki at Junk Evolution and it comes with a brochure of instruction.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you are so clever! I just love that you use plumbing tubing to create bag handles! Amazing. Congratulations on another successful event. I bet one in early December would be very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowers on the bags, can't wait to get to the store and see the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I need to take furoshiki folding lessons from you. You can do so many things! I have some furoshiki but I haven't used them because I only know one standard wrap. The purse with just 4 knots is amazing and I like the way you can carry two wine bottles, too. I hope you post more about this. Your furoshiki are really nice.

    ReplyDelete