Sunday, September 1, 2013

Echino pencil case and old cabinet

A day before school resumed I whipped up a new pencil case for my daughter with laminated Echino fabric. The reason I picked this fabric is that peacocks are Nina's favorite bird. Like I predicted, She liked her new pencil case. I am glad that she is still young enough to appreciate her Mom's handmade.


This fabric is thick enough to hold pencils and other items without lining. So the structure of this pencil case is just so simple. It could be finished in half an hour.

Lovely colors.

Changing the subject, I am in the middle of my big assignment. I am moving my workroom from the basement to the second floor. My basement workroom was fairly big. It was actually huge. I have tons of materials, five sewing machines (!) and a serger in the basement. How could that fit in my new small (but very bright) room?! Well, I certainly have to leave some of them in the basement.

Anyways, I got a few "new" furniture in my new room. This is one of them. Our friend moved out to Florida and he gave me this fabulous old cabinet which he could not take to his destination. When I first saw this cabinet I immediately thought it would be perfect for storing my products. It will protect the items from dust and also I (and visitors) can see the things inside. I decided to paint the exterior with my recent favorite color, very light turquoise.

I like the wall paper pattern on the back.

And.....This is it! It looks more whitish in the picture but it really is a very pretty turquoise. I picked this color from the Martha Stewart paint pallet. The cabinet is set in the corner of my new room.

It is surrounded by a mess yet. The first thing I finished was storing my stuff nicely in the cabinet. (Because it is a fun part!) I started moving about a week ago, and I am almost there ( I hope!). I will share the "AFTER" view when it is ready to show off!

I baked some more pies recently. Baking pie became my recent favorite pastime. I cannot wait to go apple picking and bake some good apple pies!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you all are having a fantastic labor day weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous cabinet that you just repainted, packed with such loveliness... Your pie looks so yummy, too! Wishing you and your family the wonderful month of September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. It is getting chilly in the morning here in North Indiana. Soon the leaves will get beautiful Autumn colors. What is the Fall in CA like? I hope you and your family have a great month, too!

      Delete
  2. Nice work Hiromi! WOW, the cabinet looks AMAZING! I love all of your projects. Happy September!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela!
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a nice comment! How was your Summer? Your boys have gotten big! (I see them in your FB photos.)I miss you and other friends. Have a good day!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I love your 'new' cabinet - what a transformation! Did you paint the new paint directly on the old one? I would love to learn as I was given an old tall mirror, the frame needs re-painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for stopping by. I cleaned the cabinet very well with dish soap + hot water mixture. Then simply applied a new paint. you will need a paint thinner to adjust the thickenss of your paint. Don't forget to use rubber gloves when you clean. Good luck!

      Delete